Palm developer program goes public with $1,000,000 contest
Palm has just opened up its developer program to the public. The developer program which started as a private beta to select developers. Since then, Palm has shipped a couple of WebOS devices around the globe (Palm Pre and Palm Pixi). To give mobile developers a little incentive, Palm is also running a developer contest that offers a total of 1 million USD to contest winners.
The Palm developer contest offers webOS developers cash incentives that totals $1 million in prize money. The Palm Hot Apps Program will reward developers of the hottest webOS applications. The top rewards of $100,000 will go to developers as follows:
- The developer of the free webOS application that’s downloaded the most between February 1, 2010, and May 31, 2010 will receive a $100,000.
- The developer of the paid-for webOS app that generates the most revenue during the same period will also receive $100,000.
Developers of other top free and paid apps will also receive cash awards, as follows:
- The next 20 apps in each category: $10,000 each
- The next 200 apps in each category: $1,000 each
To qualify for an award, your app – either free or paid – must be available to webOS users via Palm distribution programs between February 1, 2010, and May 31, 2010. In addition, the following criteria apply:
- The app must have been developed using the Palm webOS Software Development Kit or the Ares Integrated Development Environment. Since the Palm webOS Plug-in Development Kit is not widely available, applications utilizing this development kit or any APIs not in the Palm webOS SDK are ineligible.
- Apps must be available for download through an official Palm webOS distribution program (App Catalog Distribution, Web Distribution, or Beta Distribution). Apps distributed through non-Palm methods do not qualify.
- Apps developed by Palm employees or their direct relations are ineligible for awards.
All apps made available through Palm app distribution mechanisms during the program period may be considered for the awards. A developer may receive only one $100,000 or $10,000 award; if one of your apps qualifies for either a $100,000 or a $10,000 award in either the free or paid category, it may not receive any other $100,000 or $10,000 awards in either category. If one or more of your apps qualify for the awards in either category, you will be awarded the higher amount. Developers may receive multiple $1000 bonus awards for different applications in any category.
Only downloads made between 12:00 midnight, February 1, 2010, and 11:59 p.m., May 31, 2010, will be considered for the awards. Developers will receive their bonus payments in June 2010. Palm will verify that there has been no manipulation of download counts to assure fairness. Winners must provide information to Palm so that a U.S. 1099 form can be issued for tax purposes; all rewards are subject to U.S. and local tax laws.